SEASONAL SUPPER: Fiesta Oaxaquena
(For Ages 21 & Up)
FEATURED CHEF. SEASONAL SUPPER. Delight in a celebratory meal from Southwestern Mexico. Chef de la Vega will introduce you to some of her family's favorites and unique dishes from this diverse region with mountains, valleys and a significant coastline, all of which influence the cuisine. In this relaxed format, with just a few demonstrations of the dishes served, you'll have an opportunity to interact with the Chef and learn a little about Oaxacan traditions and ingredients while you enjoy a seasonal, regional meal paired with Mexican wines. Menu includes:
- Tostaditas de Chileajo (Tostada with Chile & Garlic Marinated Vegetables)
- Brochetita de Cerdo con Mole Amarillo (Pork Skewer in Mole Amarillo)
- Sopa de Frijol Negro (Oaxacan-style Black Bean Soup)
- Estofado de Almendras (Chicken in Almond & Tomatillo Stew)
- Arroz Blanco y Platanos Fritos (White Rice & Fried Plantains)
- Cocadas (Coconut Candy)
INSTRUCTOR: Iliana de la Vega, Chef/Owner, El Naranjo, Austin; Leader of Culinary Tours to Oaxaca
Although she was born in Mexico City, Iliana de la Vega's family is from Oaxaca and she returned to that region to open her first restaurant in 1997.
She serves as a member of the Foodways of Mexico Advisory Board of U.T. and as a consultant to the Culinary Institute of America.